Are you running Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7? Do you love the new Start screen introduced with Windows 8? Would you like to get the Start screen and Charms bar in your Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 as well? If your answer is yes, we have a brilliant software to share with you today.
The interface is officially only available in Windows 8 and Windows RT (the tablet version of Windows 8 ) but some smart guys from Iobit have now brought it to Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. This company is best known for their anti-virus software but it seems their skilled developers are able to do more.
WinMetro is specially designed to bring the newly introduced Windows 8 Metro UI to Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP. It offers an easy solution for old version Windows users to try and enjoy the tile based Metro UI. By displaying useful information such as weather, calendar, news, stocks, and frequently used programs, it turns your desktop into an informative and productive work station. It also offers the option to boot to Metro Start Screen directly.
- You can now get widgets that lively display useful information in real time, such as weather forecast, calendar, news, stocks and more.
- Access to the most frequently used system tools and recently opened programs becomes easier and faster, saving time during working or surfing.
- Exact matching in specific path searching decreases the time taken in searching and makes your work more efficient.
- By clicking the bottom left corner or using hot key, you can easily switch between Metro and Desktop Interface depending on your preference.
- IObit WinMetro is safe, secure, and 100% free from malware.
It also offers the option to boot to Metro Start Screen directly, just click the Gear icon at the top right corner to bring up the settings popup.
The power options are also added in the picture context menu as well, for your convenience. If you want to power off or restart the computer, just click on the user picture at the top right area and that will bring down a list of available options.
WinMetro is current still in beta, so feel free to feed them your feedback through the link you can find at the bottom of the application. It works on Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7, both 32bit and 64bit editions.