Several readers of our blog RITS, sent me this problem that their USB drive is showing them less space than the actual. This problem was faced by one of our readers recently, that I decided to write a solution for it.
The problem was that despite being the 2GB capacity USB drive, it showed only 800 MB of free space and was not storing data more than this. Even on formatting the drive, it could store only 800 MB of data only. If you are also facing the similar issue then here are the two solutions that you should try to make your drive work fine again.
First Solutions :
- Plug in your USB drive to USB Port.
- Open Run and Type “diskmgmt.msc” without quoteto open Disk Management.
- Select your USB drive’s partition.
- Right click on USB Drive Partition and select the option of “Delete Volume” in it.
- This will delete the memory space allocated and free up the total space.
- Now in the empty space created again right click and select “Create Volume” to create the space.
- Select the file system and format the partition to be able to use it again.
If you are unsure of the first solution or if it doesn’t work for you then try using this format utility called HP Format Disk Utilitywhich is actually a low level format utility.
Use this utility to format the drive and it shall be working again normally.